Michael Rossi is the award-winning Executive Chef of THE RANCH Restaurant, Saloon & Private Dining & Events Center in Anaheim, CA. Under his direction, THE RANCH Restaurant has received critical acclaim and numerous accolades by Orange County Register’s venerated food critic and writer, Brad A. Johnson. In addition, he was named “Chef of the Year 2016” by the Orange County Business Journal as well as receiving “Chef of the Year” by Orange County Restaurant Association’s annual Golden Foodie Awards guild.
An Orange County, California native, Rossi grew up going to weekly Sunday dinners at Grandma Rossi’s house with the responsibility of helping his mother and grandmother prepare dinner for the entire family. These times in the kitchen proved to be instrumental in shaping his life and created a passion for a career that would eventually take him across the globe and right back where it all started-at home in Orange County.
Rossi attended the prestigious California Culinary Academy in San Francisco where he graduated at the top of his class and received the highly coveted “Most Likely to Succeed” Danielle Carlisle Walker Award. The award is granted by the chefs of the academy to the one student of each graduating class, “most likely to make in impact” on the culinary world. Upon receiving this award, Rossi set forth on an international culinary adventure to broaden his skills and follow his passion of cooking.
He embarked on a journey to the world famous Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners in Costigliole d’Asti and interned in one of southern Italy’s finest restaurants at Michelin starred, Il Principe in Pompeii. Rossi then went to work alongside one of Italy’s greatest chef’s, Bruno Barbieri at the Michelin 2-star restaurant, Locanda Solarola in Bologna.
Rossi has worked with some of the best in the industry, including Hawaiian fusion cuisine pioneers Chef’s Roy Yamaguchi & David Abella of the highly successful Roy’s Restaurant’s and with the Food Network’s “Two Hot Tamales,” Susan Fenniger and Mary Sue Milliken at Santa Monica’s Border Grill before working with Andrew “Andy” Sutton of the award-winning Napa Rose restaurant within the Disneyland Resort. ®
When Rossi is not working he is spending time with his wife Dolly and their two Anaheim Ducks fanatic sons, Maddox and Luca.
- MICHAEL ROSSI’S PERSONAL RECOGNITIONS:
- *Chef of the Year, Orange County Business Journal, June 2016
- The Fab Five: “Are these the best ‘Iron Chefs’ in Orange County?” by Orange County Register, July 2015
- “Who are Orange County’s Super Chefs?” Coast Magazine, June 2015
- Southern California Restaurant Writer’s Chef of the Year 2015
- Chef of the Year, Golden Foodie Awards 2014
- Part of a Collaborative Chef Dinner, prepared a dinner course for 80 guests at
- The Historic James Beard House in New York City, 2013
- Court of Master Sommeliers, London, England – Certified Sommelier 2010
- One of Five Chef’s in America to be inducted into the Fraternity of the Côtes of Bordeaux
- Wine Council, Bordeaux, France in collaboration with the Jean-Louis Palladin Foundation
in Washington D.C. 2007
- Recognized as one of Orange County’s ‘Young Guns’, a magazine cover feature Orange
- County’s ‘Top Ten Chef’s Under 40’, by OC Metro Magazine 2006
- Jean Louis Palladin Foundation – Wine Internship in Bordeaux, France 2005
- Graduate of Italian Culinary Institute for Foreigners, Costigliole d’Asti, Italy 1998
- California Culinary Academy, San Francisco, CA – Awarded Top Student in Class 1997